Friday 27 May 2011

The last weeks

Sorry to have been MIA for the past few weeks. I just realized that the last weeks in Atlanta have really been my last, as I'll be hopping on a plane to NYC two days from now, and when I come back, I'll be zooming around Tennessee and Georgia in a rental car. Yay! And them I'm going home. Time will fly. (As if it doesn't already.)

So, what have I been up to?

There was the farmer's market two Saturdays ago in Piedmont Park, with local produce.









And of course I couldn't leave a town with 37 streets named 'Peachtree' without trying the peaches. Obvi.




I love the southern style of houses, with columns and wraparound porches and pretty pastel colors.




But next to a beautifully kept inn will be an abandoned house. Such a pity. Unless if it's haunted. That would be cool.






I went to Atlantic Station and saw Rio, and loved it. Srsly, go see it! It made me want to go back to December when I was in Rio for the holidays.






On a completely unrelated note, my view at night...






... and my view on a cloudy morning.





Two Sundays ago, I took a guided tour of an old neighbourhood called Inman Park, where a lot of beautiful Victorian houses were built in the late 19th century.











This is the house of one of the founders of Coca Cola Company, where the secret recipe was kept in a safe.





In the 1960s the neighbourhood became abandoned and was taken over by hippies. Hippie remnants remains here and there.








Her name is Goosie Goose. Seriously. She was there, but sort of hidden in the bushes.








A week flew by. So did a little advertising airplane, multiple times a week.








Last Sunday, Erin & Joel took me to a restaurant by Oakland Cemetery (the cemetery where Margaret Mitchell, the author of Gone With the Wind, is buried). The place is aptly called 'Six Feet Under'. You can sit up on their sundeck overlooking the cemetery.






I had some amazing scallops & grits with asparagus and red bell pepper. Awesome! Grits is a typical southern dish, it's kind of like polenta but creamier.









As Atlanta has become unbearably hot, there was lots of hanging out by the pool last weekend.








On Monday night we went to a bar in Decatur called Brickstore, a name that doesn't really give away that they have an awesome Belgian beer bar and an impressive, and I say impressive, Belgian beer list. Though tempted to order a taste of home, I instead tried a Belgian-style American beer that was pitck black and tasted like dark chocolate. It was delicious - if only I could remember the name... not that I'm going to find it anywhere else, because it is brewed especially for Brickstore.









Afterwards, we went to open mic night at Eddie's Attic, a tiny music venue that gave Indigo Girls and John Mayer their first break. We obviously hoped to spot some up-and-coming talent, and were not disappointed. Watch out for this amazing duo of self-proclaimed 'weirdo's who live in a car and make music'. The washboard is going to be the next hip instrument, mark my words. She rocked that thing.








Looks like this dude is making googly eyes at me in this picture. But he was singing a song about killing his girlfriend, so I'm not sure if I should be flattered.








And of course there were hipster dudes with plaid shirts and all stars sneakers.





Only today did I notice the gigantic scorpion hanging on the corner of Peachtree and 5th.








Or the southern style anti-nukes sticker on the lamppost across from the Georgia Power building. There's so many details you miss, even if you live somewhere for almost 3 months.








And today, after weeks of sunshine, the rain came.








Lots of it.







And that pretty much sums up the last two weeks.



(Did you notice I pretty much unloaded the pics from my camera and threw them on here? Yeah... I don't really have an excuse for that.)

2 comments:

  1. Como sempre, adorei o relato: as casas, as comidas e a música!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Também adorei tudo!!!! Especialmente o sign de butterfly crossing! Tão bem humorado!

    ReplyDelete